I was speaking with a few of the volunteers lately and asked them if they can describe what they enjoy about volunteering. Here are a few of their answers…
- Why do you volunteer?
- To have fun.
- To make positive use of some idle time in your life, and use some of the skills you have acquired throughout your life.
- Some RQYS Members use the facilities provided, but do not contribute to the Squadron in any way, other than paying membership fees and marina charges.
- Donate your time and energy to community service, helping others.
- By becoming an active member and as a result, a Volunteer.
- Anyone can be a volunteer, no membership or sailing ability required.
- What do you love most about volunteering with RQ?
- Working with a dedicated, fun loving group of people who want to help provide Race Management at the level expected by our competitive sailing members.
- Enjoying a drink after racing and the camaraderie of your fellow Volunteers
- personal satisfaction in using some of the skills you have in assisting in the Race Management at the Squadron
- It’s okay to say no when you want to – there’s no pressure to volunteer every week
- How to get involved, some examples:
- “I was walking across the main rigging lawn one day and the then Marine Sports Manager asked me if I could help out that afternoon on the water. I said yes and have been involved ever since and that’s about seven years ago.”
- “My sailing daughter suggested I could help on Saturdays, and that it didn’t matter that I had no sailing ability at all.”
- Some impressive features about the volunteer program:
- The fact that we sail the whole year through and not just through summer.
- The number of Volunteers required, due to the large number of weekly races, special Regattas, and International events.
- Personal skills are developed by our Volunteers
- We are highly organised team, with a strong support base.
- Uniform provided for the dedicated.
- How do your start?
- Email our Volunteer Co-ordinator, Susie Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
- Go to: rqys.volunteerroster.com
- Click the request to join button
We’d love to welcome you to our wonderful team!
-Susie Jones, Volunteer Coordinator
Day 1 of Term 4 Schools Teams racing defied the gloomy forecast, delivering a thrilling day of sailing action. The rain turned out to be a blessing in disguise, taming […]
Goodwill Cup Navigation Event secured by RQYS for 2023! Now, let’s take a moment for some well-deserved gloating about winning back the highly sought-after trophy in the enduring rivalry since […]
2023 has been a massive year! I have had the opportunity to travel to Germany and Poland to compete in the Kieler Woche regattas, ILCA Youth Worlds and the ILCA […]