PL02 Dunwich Benevolent Asylum
The asylum operated from 1865 until 1946 to provide support for those who could not look after themselves, particularly the aged but also epileptics, alcoholics, and those suffering from TB (tuberculosis). By the 1920s there were 22 wards with 800 beds for male inmates and seven wards with 150 beds for females. Another 150 men were in tents. A total of 21,000 inmates were housed there over this period. The institution’s bakery was a popular stop for boaties to restock their supplies of bread.