Welcome to Volunteering for the Etchells Worlds 2018
Thank you for putting your hand up and time forward to be a part of the Etchells World Championships 2018 volunteers team. Your contribution as a volunteer for this world class event is greatly appreciated by the sailors, the Etchells Organising Committee and RQYS Flags. The Notice of Race (NOR) and Sailing Instructions (SI) will be available here Etchells Worlds 2018 . Refer back to this page for updates to documents.
Can you please do me a huge favour as soon as possible? Using this link: https://rqys.volunteerroster.com add yourself to our roster system. The “Register” button is in the top right hand portion of the screen; add your name, email and phone number then hit “Register“. As soon as you register I will approve you. I will be able to send information directly out of the system as we get closer to the event.
If you would like to see the rosters for the various Etchells World Championships 2018 volunteer roles, visit the pages linked below:
- 18th, 19, 20th, 21st 27th & 28th October on shore – Crane and Trailer Marshals here
- 18th, 19, 20th, 21st October on shore – Hull and Sail Measurement here
- 18th -21st October on shore – Registration here
- 20th October on shore – GALA Dinner here
- 21st-27th October on water The Race Management roles are now filled (Sponsor boat and Tow Boat Crew are needed) See the Volunteer Roster here
- 21st, 24th, 25th October on shore -weigh-in & re-weigh in here
- 21st October on shore – Opening Ceremony here
- 27th October on shore – Awards Ceremony and Farewell Function here
Other important dates to remember:
- September 7-9 2018 Brisbane Spring Regatta
- on and off water roster See the Volunteer Roster here
- October 13-16 2018 Brisbane Fleet Pre-Worlds Regatta
If you happen to be in town and would like to participate, please let us know using the roster system.
Generally, on the first day of the event your report time will be 2.5 hours before the 1st Warning Signal as defined in the Sailing Instructions. This will allow enough time for an in-depth volunteer briefing. Thereafter your report time will be 2 hours before the first warning for the day, giving everyone a chance to have a briefing with the Race Officer at the start of the day and get ready to go onto the water or prepare for your duties on-shore. We provide lunch each day consisting of a sandwich, chocolate bar and a re-usable water bottle for the on-water volunteers.
Please be aware that the weather conditions may prompt an earlier start time than planned. We will notify you via the roster email system or by text if times are changed. We will endeavor to do this as close to 24 hours ahead of time if possible. Finish times may vary depending on the wind or weather.
- Any personal medications you might need during your time on the water or on shore.
- If you have any special conditions, such as epilepsy or heart conditions, you have allergies and carry an Epipen, please let others around you know of these or any other medical concerns so they may properly assist in an emergency.
- Sun block (SPF 30+ recommended).
- Weather appropriate clothing. Remember it is cooler on the water and in the wind. A windbreaker, jacket or wet weather gear is suggested.
- A reusable water bottle (One will be provided to you if you don’t have one).
- Hat and sunglasses.
- PFD (if you own one bring it, if not we have some at the RQYS).
- Work/sailing gloves are useful if you are hauling anchors.
- A change of clothing.
Here are a few links for you:
- This is a link for our regular RQYS volunteers page https://www.rqys.com.au/volunteering/. There are also videos on the “Volunteer Training Portal” page which describes how we go about Race Management – these videos have pdf slides listed below the video.
- I have uploaded the “RQYS Guide for Volunteers”, please have a look at this for related policies and information relating to your time here with the team.
- Please come join our facebook group for RQYS volunteers at https://www.facebook.com/groups/RQYSVolunteers/
- Also, please use this link http://www.sailingproshop.com/GillSize.aspx and let me know what size shirt you wear.
If you prefer, I am happy to speak with you to be sure I get you into the correct role and days that work best for you. If you have any questions, or want to give me any further information please contact me directly 07 3396 8666.
Thank you so much for being a part of the Etchells World Championships 2018 Volunteers team and helping out with these amazing events, it should be great fun!