Situated on the tree-lined bank overlooking our home at RQYS is historic Lota House. The earliest section of Lota House, a substantial two-storeyed rendered brick residence, was constructed in 1865-66 for Irish born Queensland early settler, William Duckett White and his wife, Jane. It was to remain in the White family for several generations until 1958. In 1957, businessman and philanthropist Edwin Marsden Tooth died, bequeathing £500,000 to the Anglican Church to support its schools and other charitable work with a specific request that the church establish an aged care home. The church purchased Lota House to establish the Edwin Marsden Tooth Memorial Home for aged care – maybe a good place for our old salts to drop anchor when their sailing days are over.