Green Fleet & Intermediate Squad
Green Fleet/Intermediate Coaching & Racing
To enter the Optimist Winter Series (5 August – 2 September 2017), call the Sailing Academy to complete your enrolment and pay over the phone.
See the Notice of Race and Sailing Instructions for the 2017 Optimist Winter Series on the Off the Beach Racing webpage (scroll down to Club Racing)
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROGRAM
PLEASE NOTE that all entrants in the Autumn and/or Winter Series have received an automatic entry in the Frostbite Series, with the next race-day being 29 July 2017. Please contact us to RSVP – this is important so we can have on-the-water support available for you.
Green Fleet and Intermediate Sailors participants are preparing for the second-half of the off-season, the Optimist Winter Series (Training Program with Racing); tailored by the Sailing Academy and our Optimist Coaches. The Winter Series was originally running from April – September however since then, it has been decided, that to allow sailors to be moved into a different level, the series would be split into two series – the Autumn Series (April – June) and the Winter Series (5 August – September).
- The price to enter the Winter Series for new Green Fleet sailors or anyone who wishes to enter now, is $125.00 entry + $150.00 boat hire if required.
- Junior Membership is also a prerequisite.
- All competitors must be ENROLLED and must use the same sail number the whole series unless a Substitution of Equipment Form is submitted. Failure to do so will result in competitors forfeiting all results received until the form is submitted.
- To enrol, parents will need to contact our Sailing Office, provide child’s details for registration, and make full payment.
- The program will commence after the Easter break, on Saturday 5 August 2017. All new Green Fleet sailors will need to meet at the Sailing Academy at 08:30 am on this day for a general induction. If the weather is suitable, the fleet will then head onto the water to commence training straight away. The training throughout the program will be a mixture of coaching and racing, from 08:30 – 12:30 (4 hours) on Saturdays, with any race results being published online on the RQYS Results page.
The RQYS Optimist Green Fleet is a development initiative to encourage young sailors who have completed Tackers 3, to continue on and begin learning how to race. Through training and racing with Green Fleet, and as a part of the Club Racing program, students will move through higher level squads to prepare for State and National level competition. The next level up is Optimist Intermediate Squad, where training continues at the same times/dates but becomes more intense. The two squads usually train separately, however sometimes train together.
To qualify to participate in the Green Fleet and Intermediate Programs, sailors must have completed Tackers 3 or equivalent.