Division Yachts Report
Division Yachts Report
Q & A with Rupert Henry, owner / skipper of ‘Chinese Whisper’
Rupert has asked for an extension of time so we’ll carry it over until next week. Perhaps my question required some serious contemplation + I know he’s got plenty on at work! No issues for me there, I’m happy to wait for a quality response…
Div Yacht Sub-Committee Diary Notes
A productive sub-committee meeting was held last Tuesday evening, chaired, in Chris Morgan’s absence, by Helen Warneke.
- B to K entries looking OK – 23 to date, mostly from Queensland. Perhaps more interstate PR required. Amendment(s) to NOR to be published this week.
- Agreed to work on developing a social program aimed at bringing div yacht teams closer together as a group. This might include:
- A new season welcome party (Friday evening 21/7 suggested),
- Monthly post-race BBQ’s (at the ‘loo with a view’?). A div yacht to host each event, BYO drinks. It was felt that the Club would support the concept despite its potential impact on bar revenues.
- Rec Marks – RQYS has set aside appropriate funds. Now stakeholder negotiations need to commence. Watch this space…
- The concept of race divisionalisation was discussed and considered an option worthy of further investigation. Perhaps the Goodwill Cup might be an opportunity to trial something. Div’s 0,1,2,3 perhaps? A more detailed proposal to be developed, including an ‘inter-club’ marketing strategy…
Club Member Acknowledgements (or ‘shout outs’ if you’re under 30!)
Mark Hipgrave, who, after being hammered by an intense low pressure system Mid Atlantic, is due to finish 3rd in the 2017 ‘Ostar’ Transatlantic Race aboard his Sunfast 3600 ‘Mister Lucky’. Circa 148nm to go as of 09:30 this morning…
Stacey Jackson (under cover!) who sailed bow aboard the Melges 40 ‘Night Shift’ (representing the UAE) in the inaugural class ‘Grand Prix’ event in Porto Cervo, Sardinia
MCC ‘Big Lap’ Race – 7th July:
Great opportunity to race with 40+ yachts and support a very worthwhile charity. The ‘Cure For MND Foundation’, is endeavouring to raise the profile of Motor Neurone Disease within Australia and abroad in the hopes that increased awareness may lead to not only better care for those affected by the disease, but also increased funding for vital research. Get on board (if you haven’t already). Although it’s part of the MCC series, a separate entry (including the option to donate) is required if you would like to race for trophies + you might consider attending the event dinner at MBTBC on Saturday evening – great fun! Visit http://www.manlycombinedclubs.com/online-big-lap-entry for all race documents….
The shape of things to come!
Hmmm – innovative but not pretty!
Do We Know Each Other Well Enough?
Personally, I’m not so sure. Perhaps a regular ‘competitor profile’ (skipper or crew) is the way to go. I’ll be looking for willing candidates who aren’t afraid to tell their story (in the public domain). I have a simple questionnaire that won’t take long to complete. Who would like to be the first cab off the rank? If you have a recommendation or someone in mind, let me know via email or send a text – my contact details can be found below…
Here’s a list of upcoming events that you might like to (or should) record in your diary. Your participation in all or any would be most welcomed I’m sure.
Saturday 8th July – MCC Big Lap Race (series race 8), see details above (great cause!)
Sunday 9th July – MCC Bay Race (series race 9)
Saturday – Wed (15th-19th July) – SCOR series (Mooloolaba)
Saturday – Sunday (23rd & 24th July) – Heineken Cup (IRC) and PHS Winter Championship (RQYS)
Saturday 29th July – Winter Series Race 3 (RQYS)
I’ll always be looking for Division Yacht news, views, ideas and opinions worthy of publication so please feel free to email or phone me with anything you may have. It won’t fall on deaf ears…
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile – 0411 429 527